Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Prototype Update


Being the giant nerd who (unfortunately for you guys) runs the program here at Backbone, I get certain perks. This year I have had the pleasure of testing more "R&D" product than ever. Kinda funny, since I am slower than Courtney Love's drug treatment plan. I have had some of these items for a while, and others for a short time, but I am prepared to give you an honest asessment of them.

First up will be the products from SIGMA. Desi and I have been running the Mirage EVO/X Endurance lighting system for a few weeks now, and it has proven to be not only reliable, but very well thought out for the racer. With the trademark "tools free" mounting, this system is a literal snap to get together. The lights can be mounted together on the bars, or split to do a bar/helmet combo. The batteries are the smallest and lightest I have ever seen, and really pack a punch. There are so many cool little
extras in this kit, it is a major player in my evening riding plans.

The SIGMA DTS 1706 HR is the new bar-candy I just unwrapped last week. It is the ONLY ONE in existance right now, and doesn't even have a manual written for it yet! My PC-15 last year was a major disappointment, but this new HRM/Computer has exceeded the shortcomings of the PC-15. With a stealthy black body and subdued color display, this computer gives me all the data I SHOULD need to get faster. Yeah, good luck with that.
On my previous HRM, the signal was so weak, it could not reach from strap to computer, and rarely read for more than a minute at a time. With the new digitally encoded strap, the info NEVER wavered on all the test rides so far...and has been waterproof..unlike the PC-15. With it's help, this computer may one day advance my brain to a point that would allow me to actually retrieve my own e-mail without the help of a nine year old. It gives more functions than I have time to list, so visit their link on the right of this blog for all the details.
My SUNLINE headset, developed by our own Jason Schippers for the Valencia Sport group, is amazing. Lighter than a KING, but so much sexier, my headset on the the hardtail Titus FCR is the inch and an eighth xc version. Jay first showed them to us at Interbike, along with the 1.5" headset, saddles, stems and bars he has developed. My headset has been burly and smooth, and with such exceptional design, should last for years. He designed the bearing cups to sit flush with the bearing, so that water and muck won't sit in and collect on the bearings like all other conventional headsets. That's great for me, since I like to ride in weather that would make a Monk Seal shiver.


Next up we'll look at the two proto KENDA tires I have been on for a while. The Dred Tread has been nothing short of phenomenal. I have been on the 1.8 since Interbike, and STILL have it on my FCR. It's light, but extraordinarily grippy thanks to a tread pattern reminescent of dirt tires from the early 90's. They are lower profile than tires of old, so it still manages to roll faster than I would have ever expected. I can't wait to put a 2.1 on my '07 Moto-Lite! I raced it for the first time at Southridge last week, and was stunned at it's ability to stay down in the loose and shifting sand there.
Next from KENDA is the SWS (side wall shield) equipped Nevegal, in the 2.35 version. Mounted on the Moto, it has been a destroyer of fear. Barging into rock gardens previously avoided, the SWS gives me confidence that I shall emerge unscathed from the stone hell I am thrusting myself upon. Winning "Best Of Show" in Tai-Pei last year, this technology will be ripped off by everyone as soon as they can find a way around the patents. Good luck with that.

XPEDO Pedals? That's right, freaks. XPEDO has stepped it up, and we have some sneaky-peeks at three different models. Randy Rush ripped his XTR crap off his Specialized Epic and replaced it with the XPEDO platform clipless all mountain pedals right before the last Southridge race. No practice, just a great way to test the intangeables of a new product. With no hesitation, Randy hit the course and was glowing about his new kicks. The pedals have adjustable bearing load on the axles, NO BUSHINGS (the achilles heel of other, more egg beatery products) and come in more colors and varieties than you thought you needed. No muddy binding either, which Shimano pedals have...which took my ankle from me in 1994. Then again in 1996.

The guys at TITUS, you know, E.J., Matthias, Pat, etc.? They have launched some amazing rigs this year. I have purchased two myself, because I am amazingly wealthy...that's why I sell blood and semen for cat food to eat. ANYHOW, my FCR (that's "Full Custom Race") arrived first. With welds so tight, they could seal a gnats ass this bike is a pure bred racer. The comfort level on a bike made FOR ME is something I wish you all could experience one day. Stiffer than expected, this bike is a rocket on climbs and out of the saddle. Geometry allows for loads of fun on REALLY..and I mean really...tight trails, and even droppy stuff if you have the huevos for it. I have yet to try the conversion to he singlespeed dropouts, but my buddy Andy will when his arrives next week. This bike is a no-shit racer that even in an age of full suspension, still gets me "ooohs and ahhhs" from other riders every day.
The Moto-Lite for '07 has been my main steed for the past two months now. Having ordered it before TITUS even had the carbon stays made up, I was #1 on the list. Ming's '06 is the same main frame as mine, but the '07 hs some small carbon bits like the swing link and seat stays. The bike, in a large, with 2.35 SWS Nevegals and Small Block Eights, and no carbon post (it came with it, but was replaced with a heavier Al. one.) weighs a scant 27.75 lbs. that's damn light for a bike with almost 6" of travel up front and huge tires. I have taken an EIGHT FOOT drop on this bike last week, on a night ride....NOT on purpose...and I never even bottomed out the fork. Without a question, this is the most versatile and neutral bike I have ever owned. I am going to race this TRAILBIKE next week just to prove how good it is. No flex, no creaking, nothing. I built it up w/ the exceptional TITUS all-mountain 2 kit, and have yet to even miss a shift. The parts are top notch, and the bike makes the SC Nomad look like a one legged kid in an ass-kickin' contest.

Please stop and ask me about any of these items on the trail or at the races, I will be glad to show you how they work, and what makes them tick!



Cap'n Chris




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home