Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Avid Rollamajig, Death Of A Classic.





Confusion is the look I get most often when I ask for it. No, not back-door action, something else entirely...although it does attach at the rear..so I guess it IS back-door action after all. I have been greatly saddened at my local bike shops here in Columbus. Maybe it's a nation wide issue, but I am just noticeing it here. I have been to Roll, Bike Source, and Performance (who used to sell these by the metic ton) and still get the same reaction from all of these fine retail establishments when I ask for it. "Is that the brake noodle-thingy" was as close as anyone has gotten...except Ben, the Mechanic at the TREK store on Sawmill Rd. He knows of this mythical beast. They even have one on a bike for sale on the floor, but nobody saw it until recently due to it's location below some pannier bags.
The Avid Rollamajig has been producing a ratio-reducing, shift enhancing accessory to the rear derailleur for so many years, I still am baffled by the non-existant number of shop-rats who know what it is. This little ten dollar gizmo has been making crappy derailleurs feel like Dura Ace, and Dura-Ace feel like heaven for years. Attaching to the rear derailleur barrel adjuster knob, it reduces the leverage ratio between the shifter and derailleur making each shift easy and precise. It has such a cult following, SRAM basically JACKED it's design and integrated into it's XO rear derailleur design. Luckily, SRAM bought Avid and can incorporate this spectacular little product into all rear shifters from now on. SHIMANO even tried to mimick it with the new XT stuff!
With the new derailleur designs all but copying the idea exactly, AVID has decided to stop production of this little wonder-part. Three months ago, they bagged and tagged the last one. I have tried in vain to find one (or anyone here who knows what one is), and have only been able to get them on PricePoint.com. They bought the last crates, and are selling them for a low-low $6.50 each. These are not just for mtn bikes (although that was their primary target), and I have used them on my road bike for 12 years! If you are unfamiliar with this product and run any road derailleurs, or Shimano stuff...BUY one and be very willing to read the instructions and set it up correctly. You will be SHOCKED at what you find...

VIVA LOS ROLLAMAJIGS!






***The black hammer-looking thing on the back of the XO is the Rollamajig rip-off***

8 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Back Door Dude, The Avid Rollamajig is alive and @ BestBikeZone.com & the Ebay store: BestBikeZone. Check it out!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Sharpie said...

While they are available in some batches to buy via e-mail, etc..they (SRAM) ceased production of them last year...

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know your post is like 2 years old, but now it's become even HARDER to find these things. Please email me (itri4vt at gmail dot com) if you know of a place to get them nowadays.

It's understandable that since Avid and SRAM are the same company, that Avid wouldn't be making a part that would make Shimano parts work better :)

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Sharpie said...

Too funny that this post is STILL getting comments!

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger christdragon said...

I also live in Columbus and have had the same experience. Problem is that if you try to find it on ebay there aren't any used. And someone is trying to get $24 for one. That's just a total rip off if you ask me. I bought my first Rollamajig in northern Michigan and put on my mountain bike. But back in those day's I had my bike repaired for me and some bike mechanic took it off and didn't tell me.

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adpated mine to my Joplin remote for better cable routing. Works like a charm.

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as these old XTR's are around - so will a need for the rollamajig's.....

Now if I can just find one.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Been using one on my mountain bike since 8 years ago and it's still going strong, attached to an XT derailleur.
Also got a spare one in the parts box, looks like it was a good idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home