Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Transmission Failure, Yet Again.

**The ol' truck, when it wasn't TOO old at the first camp-N-Ride in Sycamore Canyon State Park.**


So after eight years and 150 thousand miles, my truck's transmission finally failed two years ago. Taking it to the local " very large chain" transmission shop, they rebuilt it for about 3/4 of what the truck is actually even worth. In EXACTLY two years to the week (and less than 13,000 miles), it has failed again. I'm not sure, but I'd say that is one sucky cost/benefit ratio. Of course, the place only gives a year warranty, so just in time for the holidays I get to spend cash I don't have on something other than gifts. Awesome! I have had Shimano drivetrain parts and Truvativ cranksets last longer than the 2K rebuild on that transmission, and the bike parts get hammered a hell of a lot worse than that truck does.


**That bike (and everything on it) was over ten years old when I sold it.**
I wonder if SRAM makes a compatible XX automatic tranny for a '99 GMC pick up? Well, luckily this time of year it's only about 20 degrees and snowing/frozen here in Columbus, so walking or riding to work should be a breeze. Or maybe not.

5 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Anonymous TheKlaw said...

That bites. If it helps, I can ship you either the ole' VDub Bus or AK's Conejo, complete with a state of the art solid front fork, aka a White Brothers dual crown in an effort to make the commute bearable. Neither run but could look good parked in the snow.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I just looked out the window and saw no snow!!!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Sharpie said...

Thankfully most folks know I exaggerate a bit from time to time. Not much..just a little bit..every once in a while. Y'know..on occasion.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Sharpie said...

Klaw! My old Conejo is STILL being ridden by the very mnan who built the original TERMINATOR full-size movie model! His name is Ron, and I used to work with him in Burbank.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Klaw said...

That's crazy. Hey if he needs a fork I still have your dual crown RST that ended up snaping my headtube way back when. For that matter, I can send him all of the old stuff inside that VDub!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home