Sunday, December 17, 2006

Titus Shakedown Ride

Here she is, my Full Custom Race Titus frame all dressed up

Ever had a bike that doesn't fit, but you forced it by sheer will and the spec of odd stems and seatposts? Welcome to my life. At 6'3" and all inseam, I have NEVER..and I mean NEVER...had a bike that actually fit me right. Being too cheap to spend over three hundred dollars on a frame, I rode what ever was the largest size I could buy hanging from the Supergo ceiling. That always led to a bike that ws too short, and thusly uncomfortable, to really love. I was close with the XL Klein that I have raced for so long, but even that was too small.
Enter E.J. and the Ti wizards over at Titus Cycles. I decided to poy up for a new hardtail, and I called them up. Settling on a stock size (knowing it would again be too small), I waited for a frame I knew I'd end up selling to Bert. Then the box came. Instead of the ELEVEN logo on the frame, and a large frame in the box, I was staring at a beautiful work of art that seemed to never end as it rose from the cardboard manacles that bound her. The decal that adorned her read "FCR." Was there a mistake? I did not pay for a full custom frame! I thought I had waited a long time for a stock frame..and was beginning to rrealize why. E.J. was aware of my size dilemma, and quietly worked with his framebuilders to custom spec me a Ti frame. Holy crap you guys. If you have never ridden a cutom built frame, or never thought it was worth it...IT IS SOOOOO WORTH IT. On it's very first ride, the bike outshined my trusty old KLEIN in a big way. It was instantly obvious that the custom build would rekindle my love of riding and racing. For those of you who don't think it makes a difference, guess again. That frame is worth every penny, and if you can OR CAN'T afford it..do it. Today.





Vanessa, Dawn and Bob on Backbone Trail


I would like to say thanks to all who came out to help me stretch her legs yesterday on the inaugural FCR ride. Roger, Dawn, Vanessa, Desi-Lou, Vegas Bob, Fuzzy, and Roger's friend all showed up to watch me be not good enough for that bike.
The weather was cool and drizzly, and was perfect for a hardtail's first ride.
Her name is "The Mullett." That is because she is short in front (flat bars, barends, and rim brakes) and party in the back (disc rear...something foreign to an O.G. like me). thanks to everyone who came out, and I hope to see ya'll again soon.

C





Fuzzy at the Hub










The FCR again

1 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger BC said...

It IS a thing of beauty. Hope to get out and ride with you guys again sometime soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home