Thursday, July 26, 2007

DH Race Update From Ryan Nolan




Hey Chris,
Just want to check in with you let you know how things are going.

US OPEN
The US Open went pretty well for me this year. The race starts off with qualifiers with about 300AM riders and then they take the top 100 for the real race. I qualified 21st out of 300 and ended up 15th out of 100 in the race. Overall the race went pretty well and I was pleased with my riding, there was some sand bagging going on for sure though due to the value of the prizes they gave out. (1st got a 5000$ bike).

FIRST PRO RACE
Next race was a Diablo Domination race which holds a AM/ Pro format. This was my first pro race and the course was great. I am always more motivated to ride when I like the course and this was one of their better ones, had some high speed sections on the slope, some crazy rock gardens in the woods, and a 35ft double as the finish line jump. I had to battle with most of the fast east coast riders and I ended up 18th of about 30 racers. It could have went a little better but overall it went well and it opened my eyes up to what I need to do to beat these guys. GET TRAINING!!

Plattekill
My first time to Plattekill and the course was cross country mixed in with some downhill. Most of the course was pretty flat with 2 steep but short sections. A all mountain bike would be been great if not for the 2 steep sections which would have been a little crazy to attempt with out a duel crown fork. Im sure I have said it before but my favorit courses are ones that I dont have to pedal much in so this was not one of them. My finishing place reflected this with a 7th out of 15 in expert 19-24. Once again this race opened my eyes to my fittness and what I need to do.

National Championships Mount Snow VT

Last year this was my favorit course of the year with its high speed motocross like feel. This year there were some sections that were almost up to my knee in water and mud. My first practice run down I got a flat tire from hucking off the edge of a rock face in order to dodge another rider. My second run down went awesome I was drifting most turns and hitting every line I saw when I walked the course, I felt like Sam Hill. The feeling didn't last for long though as my third practice run would be my last. I got through the most difficult section no problem but after it was a wide right hand sweeper which had a single large rock right in the main line. I know better but coming into it I could not take my eye off this rock so naturally I hit it and fliped over the bars landed in a deep mud puddle laughed and got back on my bike. I went about 10 feet after that spot and I dont really remember what happend but I found my self riding on my fr ont wheel off the trail into the woods. Next thing I know I was over the bars again but this time there was trees and rocks to brake my fall not soft mud. After this I layed there for about 30 minutes in pain before I could finnaly stand. After it happend I felt like I was going to pass out and all I could think about was getting a drink of water. When I went down to get some ice the medics told me I could have a hairline fracture in my femur, they said when you break a bone you will usually get that feeling like you are going to pass out. I couldn't ride my bike or even put pressure on my leg while standing. So I was not able to race in the National Champinships this year hopefully next year I won't take my self out..... Good news is my leg is feeling much better today.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home