Friday, August 03, 2007

SIGMA 24/9 Race Update From "Tookie!"



Chris,
Hey, man did I have a great time and thanks for setting me up with the guys from Sigma, they were great, but I could have done without the 12 hour drive, in which 8 of it was gazing out the window at vast corn fields, driving through Indiana and Illinois.





Once we got there and set up camp, then grabbed sometime to eat in town and made a few more stops before turning in for the night it was about 12:00, My ass was beat.







The next morning I felt a little better after getting 7 hours of sleep and the guys from Sigma went back into town for a coffee run before we started setting up the Sigma booth. James, Brian and Jim from Sigma were all really cool and helpful and yes they talked me into starting the Le mas start with about 350 - 400 riders on the starting lap, but it didn't matter at that point I was jack up and ready to race lawn mowers in the parking lot, we were getting ready to rock for the next 24 hours.









Lap one was fast the course was a good mix of tight twist single tack with lots of roots and a couple of rock gardens here and there, super fast single track fire roads. The first lap had some challenges with not pre-riding the course before the race ,but I was out there watching everyone twist and turn through the single track and waited on the fire roads to make passes on slower riders as there were doing the same to me.

Also I would like to say the K end small block8 is the best cross county tire I have ever raced on and these things were course tested. I had only gotten them a day before hitting the road to Wisconsin, so 300 hundred yards of pre-riding through the camp ground is all I got before the race.









As the race went on into night the guys a Sigma make life so easy, most other 24 hr races I've done in the past, the night was spent chasing batteries for your lights, but not at this race. James and Brian kept the lights juiced up on every lap I pulled through the night, this took a ton of pressure off of me and really made the night laps very fun.

Please let James, Brian, Jim, and Justin at Sigma there great and I had fun and I would love to do it again next year.

Jeff Williams

1 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Sharpie said...

Tookie, thanks for being a team player and sucking up all that pain and boredom for the ol' Backbone crew. See ya Sunday at the WV Sate race!

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home