Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"Green" Replaces "Extreme" As The New Word I Hate To Hear Most!



"Extreme" in it's many forms (X-TREME, xtreme, etc.) has been my most hated word for many years. Used to market things from Cheetos to nose-hair trimmers, when you see something that is tagged as extreme you can bet that it most certainly is not. There is a new EXTREME word/term/tag-line/buzz-word/marketing goldmine out there, and it's called "green." I hate this word already because I can see it coming.

In the coming years, GREEN will be used by corporations big and small to push their products. The Soviets are no doubt in talks on how to push the Chernobyl blast area as a "green" tourism site. I have already seen GREEN being marketed by companies like Shell Oil, American Steel, coal mining co-ops, and other markedly UN-green entities. Not only do I not buy it, but I am wholly offended that these people think we are all so stupid we don't know any better. How green is Ethanol? It only turns a 1% difference between what it takes to make it, and what it saves in carbon footprint. Now that's GREEN! uhhhh...yeah. How about maybe brown?

In preparation for the coming twenty years of EXTREME-replacing tag lines, be aware that I am calling shennanigans on the whole thing now. I highly doubt that a ship-wrecked oil tanker seeping crude into Santa Monica Bay is green...or that a Ford Family-Truckster V-10 that somone uses to drive kids in LA traffic to soccer practice with is green, just because it smells like popcorn when it rolls by..

2 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger taylor said...

What if someone came up with something that was both "green" and "extreme"? Oh man... maybe a hybrid Hum-Vee with 48" mud swampers! EXTREME GREEN!

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Sharpie said...

I like the way you think Chuck-T..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home