Tuesday, January 06, 2009

My Kind Of Ride!

The world's shortest street is right here in Bellefontaine, OH.



This is my kind of road ride. Located in Bellefontaine, OH (that's FONTAINE, not "fountain"), this fifteen foot section of street is just what I would need to get the ride over with quickly. It's just about five blocks west of Main Street on Columbus Avenue, and two blocks south of Sandusky Ave. Why do I love this Ohio claim-to-fame so much? Well, because after my arduous ride on McKinley Street, I can go and get myself another Ohio original...the banana split. Oh yeah...who's with me?





The banana split was invented in Ohio, my sole reason for moving here.



While we are on the topic of towns that need a little help in the pronunciation department, let me spill the beans on Lima.
In Lima, it is against the law to carry a map that doesn't have Lima on it. Phyllis Diller was born in Lima in 1917, and it is home to the Allen County Museum. The museum is a great place to ride your bike to. It's free to get in and a great place to stop on that group road ride and stretch your legs. It houses a Dillinger exhibit with some crazy things. Lima wasn't named after a bean..and shouldn't be pronounced as such. It was actually named after Lima, Peru.. where all the quinine was coming from during the malaria outbreak it's settlers were dealing with! When you are riding through Lima on your TOMAC bike, see the museum and grab some lunch!





These are Lima beans....this is NOT how you pronounce the Ohio town....




..and that's because it was named after Lima, Peru!

Looks like some gnarly road riding in the REAL Lima, eh? Hope that TOMAC you bought had it's tune-up before you ship it there!








Now that I think about it again, Bellefontaine shouldn't be pronounced as though it were a water feature either...like the Trevi Fountain in Rome. Sorry, it just shouldn't.

4 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Blogger john45806 said...

Love your bit on Lima,Ohio. I just happen to live there lol . If you plan on riding your bike threw Lima get your conceal and carry permit first you might need it .lol

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Sharpie said...

Yeah, no kidding! It's funny, every single person who I meet that moves here asks the same questions about the same two towns, so it's been this kind of running laugh for two years now. I was just hoping to spread a little of it around...."If a joke falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, is it funny?"

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sharpie, don't forget that Medina is another Ohio city that is miss-pronounced. The city is not supposed to rhyme with the most notorious of female body parts; but sound like the end of 'Funky Cold Medina'. I hope I wasn't too graphic with my aural attack.

-Joe 'Guitar' Minerd

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Sharpie said...

JOE!!!!! When are we gonna get to your freakishly amazing guitar again? Medina, eh? I'll look into that one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home