Saturday, October 29, 2005

Glendale Heavies


It occured to me at the cyclocross race, that many of you do not know who the Glendale Heavies are. James asked me who the lads were in the Kenda e-z up and I was stunned that he had no idea who they were! The "Heavies" are an absolutely INDISPENSABLE aprt of Backbone Adventure Cycling. They come to many of our races, from Bonelli to Mammoth, to support and assist the team. Some of the nicest, and LARGEST guys I have ever met, they come to us via our comrade Ara. The first one I met was Short-Stakk, a.k.a. the Human Hood Ornament. Stakk has taken countless photos of Backbone racers, and fed many of you at the events. He was almost wiped out last year by a woman who ran a red light, and turned Stakk into a gelatenous pile of goo. He has bounced back, and has been an integral part of the team ever since.
We also have Alex, a.k.a. "Tiny." Alex is one of the funniest mo-fo's I have ever met, and does a wicked impersonation of Liberace. Or Richard Simmons. He is the guy who helps me haul 5,000 pounds of stuff to the team pit area, and also feeds the racers at some remote course location. Next, we have the large and in charge SAKO. This guy is so muscled up, you could read freeway directions off the veins in his arms. He single-handedly lifts and moves all four of the team e-z-ups, at once. Alone. Yet with all that brawn, he remains to be one of the coolest guys you'll ever meet. Elias and Juan round out the Glendale Heavies. These two are brothers, and brother what massive pair these two are. Eclipses occur when these boys stand up. They are so big, the Earth's tides often respond to their geographic location.
I wanted to take a second and pay a debt of gratitude to our beloved support crew. We could not do it without them! Thanks, dudes!

Cap'n Chris

1 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger Christie said...

I agree! I love The Heavies. Last weekend's cross race was a big reminder of how great they are. They know exactly how to motivate me, with the lyrical stylings of 50-cent and Mike Jones. ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home