Monday, June 23, 2008

The Cankle










Yummy! Look at that Cankle! I have been out of the bike commute for a week now, and it sucks ass. I was playing a rousing game of tag with Luka in the park, and my ever-worsening ankle decided to change direction and not tell me where it was planning to go. "Pop" is not a sound I like to hear coming from that area. It has been broken twice, both times between the ages of 20 and 24. The first time I was working at the Orange County Marine Institute, and was walking a group of school kids to the tide pools.
After explaining to them why you don't want to pick up certain sea slugs, I stepped on a rock with some moss....and "pop." The second time was not far after. I was racing mountain bikes in Big Bear, CA in a pair of first generation Shimano SPD pedals (1990?)It had rained pretty bad, and mud was everywhere. Now, those old pedals were VERY tightly packed...not much room to let mud drop through like my XPEDO's can.









No mud pack-up here. The XPEDO's have been great for crappy conditions..
Bombing down 1E01 at Mach 5, I was comitted to a turn. Pedals bound up tighter than a boy-dog, and my ankle snapped like a twig. It has never been the same. I go down faster than Sir Elton John at Studio 54 now. So I am off the bike for a bit. Please send beer and ice cream to aid in the recovery effort...

3 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger Vegas said...

WHOA. I'd say a 5 person Eskimo family could live off the blubber from that swollen appendage for about 3 months. And that includes lighting their igloo with the blubber oil!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Sharpie said...

Word...I was using my flencing knife to cut my bunions! Ambergris anyone?

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger CastersUp said...

Honey, can I get you a little ice for that?
Hell, three tries & you're out. Why don't you just cut the darn thing off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home