Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Jim Wannamaker Races 24hr Solo!

***This race report comes from Defacto Backboner Timari Pruis, World Solo 24 Hr Mountain Bike Champ and all around cool chick.*********************************







TIMARI AND KENDA’S VERY OWN JIM WANNAMAKER ROCK THE 24 HOURS OF ADRENALIN WORLD SOLO CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to take the chance to give the latest update in my world of 24 hour racing. I just arrived home last night from Monterey, Ca from attending the 24 Hours of Adrenalin World Solo Championships in which myself, AND Kenda’s very own Jim Wannamaker participated in! Yes, you heard it here, Jim Wannamaker did his very first 24 hour solo race! AND he survived! I know we all thought it was something we would never witness, but the proof is in the pictures. A few months ago, when Jim announced that he was going to actually do the race solo, I thought “yeah, sure Jim”. Well, he proved me wrong as we both proceeded to line up at 11:30 for the call up before the race. Jim had us totally set up for the weekend with a sweet pit area, complete with flood lights, a fan, a table, EZ up, and a private dressing room. We were doin’ this thing in style. We had my mom on hand (as always) to pit for both Jim and I. Admittedly, mom and I were both a little worried as Jim discussed his food and drink selections for the race. Good thing I brought extra of EVERYTHING! Sorry Jim, but Trail Mix, Pretzels, and Skittles DON’T cut it as food for a 24 hour race.








Soooooo…..the countdown began, the clock struck noon, and we were off. The laps were long, and both Jim and I only kinda had an idea of how long the laps were going to take each of us. He had pre-ridden the course, so he had a bit better of an idea than I did. All I knew, was that it was frickin’ HOT out, and it was going to start out as a race of survival (admittedly, I was a little worried about Jim this whole time….). I finished out the first lap, and headed straight back out. Each lap after that, I kept asking mom, “How is Jim doing”. She was happy to report he was doing alright. All the while, we kept feeding him all sorts of tablets and pills and food from my race arsenal. We kept racing into the night, at which point, many racers had already fallen victim to the heat from earlier in the day. Mind you, several of those who had fallen victim were experienced and strong endurance racers, and Jim and myself were still going. Jim was killin’ it! At this point, I was in first place for my age category, and Jim was holding strong in 4th place in the “old fart” world solo category as he likes to put it. I think several people rolled by him saying he was the oldest guy they had seen out on the course. I have to mention that it was awesome to see how many people recognized Jim out on the course, and commended him on his efforts for being out there toughing it out. It was truly inspiring to get to see this firsthand.










Jim hung in there like a trooper, only took one nap in the middle of the night, and was back out there. He got to experience all the highs and lows that 24 hour racing has to offer---the tired legs, his lights going out in the middle of a night lap, and of course, the very sore ass! His comment to me in the middle of the night was “I don’t know how the heck you do this!”. Of course, all of us who know Jim personally know those weren’t his EXACT words….but in the efforts of keeping this G rated! To say the least, my mom was pretty entertained by Jim all 24 hours (she now knows why I am the way I am due to hanging with all my “Kenda homies”). The morning finally came, and Jim and I both happened to be prepping for our final lap at the same time, both of us still going strong. The day was getting hot again, and it was time to finish this sucker off. I headed out a little bit before Jim, but he wasn’t far behind. I finished up at about 11:15, as was more than happy to be done for the day, and was even more excited that I crossed the line as the World Solo Champion for the female age group 30-34! Mom and I proceeded to wait it out for Jim to finish up, and the next thing we know, we heard them announce that Jim was on his way in. I ran (even though I don’t know how I had it in me at this point) to the finish line to get a commemorative picture of the hardest working man in the bike industry crossing the line. Jim got to finish like a rockstar, and I was really proud of him. Jim, you are the man! I hope you managed to drop some more of that weight you have wanted to drop! (I did tell him though that if he shaved down, he would probably drop the rest of the weight he wants to lose!). It was a pleasure and an honor to get to share my pit area, and my mom, with Jim for the weekend! Also, a HUGE thank you needs to go out to Charlie for coming out to Monterey to man the Kenda trailer, thus allowing Jim to get to race!



****Chris' addition*******
I did not see mention of any of the Titus/XFusion teammates that Timo looks after so handily during the regular xc season. I can only surmise that she was, once again, having to rely on the kindness of her mom and friends to do what her "team" should be doing. Hopefully she will be better taken care of next season by her "teammates." Great job to Timari and Jim, you guys rocked it!

1 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger rushman said...

Jim,congrats on finnishing this one I don't know if I could have. I understand it eas hot but even if it wasn't theres enough FUR there you could have rode with no sleves even if it was january.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home