Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Timari's 24 Hr. Of Temecula Report!


12 (SCORCHING) HOURS OF TEMECULA

After a months rest from my 3 weekends of back to back racing (8 Hrs of Idyllwild-3rd place, 24 Hours of Laguna Seca-1st, and 12 Hrs of Mesa Verde-4th , for those of you who were unable to open the document last time! I apologize!), it was time to “saddle up” once again, this time, for the 12 Hrs of Temecula down in Southern California. I headed out early Friday morning on my drive from a very fair weathered Northern Nevada, to a very scorching Southern California. The difference in temperature was undeniable.
Saturday morning came way to quickly, and I headed out early to make the drive down to Temecula from my grandmother’s house, where I would meet up with Darren from Ay-Up lighting (my newly acquired lighting sponsor!), who would be my pit person for the day. I arrived to find him already set up in the pit area, EZ up included, all I had to do was unload my stuff and get ready (flying by the seam of my pants of course!). The 9am start arrived, and the heat had already made itself more than present. Most of us were sweating just waiting on the start line! It was going to be a long day, but after a month of no racing, I was ready. The starting “siren” went off, and I was feeling pretty good. I held a pretty good position going into the parade loop, and was able to maintain it going into the first climb, passing one of the other solo female riders, life was good so far. Part way through the lap, I got passed by the rider that I had previously passed, but I thought “no big deal, it is a long race ahead”. By the time lap 2 rolled around, it had gotten really HOT, and the heat began to take its toll on me (we finally hit the 80-90 degree range at home just this week), so much that I managed to take a pretty good little digger towards the middle of the lap. Following the crash, I managed to regain my composure (after making sure the bike was okay first!), and finish the lap. I returned to my pit area, where Darren was awaiting with a fresh hydration pack, and water bottle. I downed some food, and even though the heat was causing me to be a “little outta sorts”, I set out for lap 3. Things were a bit rough, but I trekked on (figuring I was just now entering into my 3 hour warm up point). Next thing I know, a bee flies into my helmet, and ZAP, I was stung! All I am thinking at this point is “what else can possibly happen”? I finished the lap, yet again. This time I was pretty much forced to stay in for a while due to the heat, I just couldn’t see straight……things would probably not end well.
Once things cooled off, I was back in the game. I went back out for the remainder of the race, and my lap times were back to normal, they were extremely consistent (which is pretty true to form for me). Where was this feeling earlier in the race??????? I finished up at about 8:15pm, and was a little bummed to not have any night riding (cuz I was really excited to get some more use out of my new Ay-Up lights!). Regardless, I was glad it was over. In spite of everything, I still finished up in 3rd place, one lap off of 2nd. I have to extend a HUGE THANK YOU to Darren from Ay-Up Lights for being my pit person for the day, he was awesome throughout everything (keeping my bottles filled, and having a nice cool, wet towel available each time I came in), he even introduced me to my fellow Ay-Up racers, the Williams brothers (who are all under 16 years old)---can I just say, watch out everyone, these boys kick some serious butt, and they are friendly and polite as well. As always, Jason Ranoa (and friends) put on a great event, and it seems to be growing. Thanks Jason for being out there on the course rooting us all on! Next up on the race agenda is possibly the Cascade Cream Puff 100, and if not that, the Park City Perfect 10.
As always, I would like to thank all of my awesome sponsors for all of their continued support: Kenda Tires, Pivot Cycles, Ay-Up Lighting Systems, FSA, Magura, DT Swiss, Hammer Nutrition, Zeal Optics, Dakine, Wholistic Fitness, Beljum Budder, and Sheila Moon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home