Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Commuting By Bike! (not in L.A.)

*The Lane Ave Bridge, on my ride home...







Hi kids! Today is my day off..and that's good, because I have ridden to work the last three days straight. It's only thirty miles a day, but when you have ridden NO miles a day for three weeks (Interbike prep for the team)and worked on your feet all day, it's different! My route is spectacular, rolling from the house down to the Olentangy River Trail. This trail rolls past OSU's football stadium, the renovated Lane Ave Bridge, Antrim Lake and mile after mile of water's edge beauty. Various animals roam the area. Large, gnarly looking "tailless beavers" roam around, as do freshwater turtles and tons of frogs! There are always rowing eams training on the water, and dogs chasing whatever they can find into the "Old And Dingey" river.

***Antrim Lake Amphibian.......



I have a fifteen mile climb up to work (20 if I take the long route) along the river. That's not hard, but standing like a horse all day then riding home takes the fight outta me. Lydia likes that, because I can't fight her advances when the sun goes down. It's wanting to turn to fall here in Ohio, but it just can't seem to get it's act together. Stupid Mother Nature, make a damn decision already! Typical. :)

****Puppies in Antrim Lake..Think Beauford would do that? I miss him....





I see many of the same folks each day coming or going. I see the old Tri-Geek with his younger "training partner" (tht's what he tells the wife I'm sure.) and the HUGELY fat guy who is actually outperforming most of the other shaven, carbon riding people. There are the older women who rip it up, and the runners wo can't seem to figure out that we won't "buzz" them so close if they just won't run SEVEN abreast on the narrow two lane bike path. They clog the path so much, I think the city will place a steel blade on their shins and use them a a snow plow. Multi-use trail? Sure...if you an fly OVER it!

***the famous and numerous Groundhog, my new training partner...................





The cruise home is much faster, speeds averaging 22.5 mph on the ol' mountain bike. The Lane Avenue Bridge shines like a new dime in the fading twilight of a Fall Ohio evening. That's my landmark to let me know I'm almost home. this bridge was originally built in 1905, but after the flood of 1913 (it stood firm), it was deemed to risky. A later bridge was built of concrete and earth, but was replaced a couple of years ago to it's current glory.
It's amazing how much nicer bike commuting is than driving. In three days I worked in NINETY miles. No real change in schedule, but still made the decisiion to do it at least three days a week. I feel better, sleep better...and if I were awake to know it, I probably get more sex. I'll have to ask about that one....

2 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Fuzzy said...

Commuting on a bike is absolutely the best. Riding to CSUN from Glendale in your old hood(Chandler)comes to 45 miles roundtrip. But instead of seeing beavers and nice bridges we got hobos and homeless peoples and graffiti.

throw an elbow ! Peace !

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Sharpie said...

FUZZY! Do me a solid and ride by the ol' house...call out for Beauford and see if he comes out from the garage one day..see how he looks, ok???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home